When Shaun came home, we strategically placed ourselves where we would see people as they exited the gate area and I could get a glimpse of Rich and Shaun before they would actually see me. I had the reunion scene (think slow motion) running in my head, when...tah dah...in they came through a different door, totally messing things up!
I was not about to let that happen again. So... we got to the airport early. We were told we had to meet them in baggage claim so off we went. I asked the lady at information where the people from Gate A20 would come through. She directed us to frosted glass doors. We strategically placed ourselves there, like paparazzi waiting for some rock star..and we waited.
and waited...
and nothing...
I went back to the information lady and was again told that this is where his flight would exit. We asked other passengers who were coming through those doors if they were on the same flight and the answer was yes.
So we waited...
and waited....
and nothing...
so I called him. He was at the other end. I told him to go back to the doors and to NOT RUIN MY PLANS for my reunion!!!! HE HAD TO COME THROUGH THE FROSTED GLASS DOORS... with every other passenger from his plane!
So we waited....
and waited...
and nothing....
so I called him... He was at the opposite end... So, there we were, a confused bunch of people waiting for them to find us... no clue which direction they'd be coming.. until we saw this.....
this is Rich and the kids walking PAST the frosted glass doors that he was SUPPOSED TO COME THROUGH! But more importantly, this is the moment when my new son saw me. And he smiled... and then
This
My new son running up to me and throwing his arms around me. An event that I do not have a picture of yet, since I was holding my camera... barely... and hugging the heck out of Liam. From that point on, my pictures were a mess... blurry, out of focus... eck... I'm strong arming everyone else who was there for their pictures.. I'll have those up as soon as they comply.
Here they are, all my kids together, finally!
Liam, did not sleep at all from the time they left Hong Kong until they arrived in Boston and he barely ate. When they landed in Detroit, he asked Rich, "mama?". Rich told him not yet. Rich said he was very anxious and excited to see me.
After an initial walk through of the house, he made himself right at home, had some dinner with us, checked out the dog and cat and turtle and frogs and fish and.... at 11:00 told us he was tired and off to bed he went. I got a hug, a kiss and a "I love you mama" before he fell asleep.
This morning, he came running into our room, LOOKING FOR ME!!!! Not the daddy!
Life is good.






Good thing I haven't done my makeup yet. You helped me get in my morning cry. SO happy that your family is home and that you are finally with your new son.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful story! I've shared this story about his homecoming with several people, and everytime I tell it, the other person and I both cry. What a blessing Liam is to your family, and you to him! Thanks so much for sharing his journey home!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a beautiful story. How precious is that boy? So glad he has his Mama at last. He is adorable.
ReplyDelete