Monday, July 26, 2010

Hiding things or keeping them safe?

How do you get a kid with limited english to understand that he doesnt need to put his socks, psp, and other goodies under his pillow. He hid his toothpaste tonight too. I wonder how long before he realizes that nobody will take his things.. that they are his and he does not have to hide them to keep them.. Ok, maybe the socks since I have a habit of losing them... but not the other stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Andrew is doing some of this too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilly did that too, and I just went with it until she stopped. You are right when English got better, and trust got better, I started telling her that it is okay, no one will take your things, they are safe here. It took about 6 months before she fully trusted us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy him a treasure box (plastic, wood, etc.) and have him decorate it however he wants. He can put his stuff in it and slip it under his bed.

    This is what we did for our daughter, adopted days before 14. She still hoards stuff in it after 18 months, but at least she is not sleeping on it anymore. :-)

    One day, his box (and heart, emotions, needs) will be "full" and he'll stop.

    ReplyDelete