Friday, July 2, 2010

Bravery

I found this picture in the files from the kids cameras that Rich sent to me. It was the first moment they saw him


On the day they met Liam, there was no grand entrance, no calling out names for them to go up and get him. While Rich was filling out paperwork, Liam just appeared beside him and Shaun was the first to see him and he took this picture.
It appears to me that he'd been crying. His eyes look like they've been rubbed red but when he got to Rich, he was very brave and stoic.

Then I saw this picture of them walking through the airport. and my tears started flowing.


I am in awe of my son's amazing courage. I am so grateful for his willingness to leave all things known and join these strangers who he's been told are his new family, knowing how very hard that must have been. He's only 7.. He's so brave and I'm honored that he has trusted that this is the right thing. We are meant to be together. He was meant to walk through this life with OUR family, not as an orphan in China. I hardly have the words to express my emotion right now but I can't imagine being in his little shoes. He has joined us with full abandon. He is loving having people that are "his". He walked up to Rich for the first time last night and said "Baba I love you" and threw his arms around him and gave him a full bear hug, then waited for the nightly kiss on the head from Rich. He amazes me daily with the bond he's forging with Maddie and Shaun. His transition has been seamless, and we are grateful for this. I know that there will be rough patches. Grief comes at strange times, I know that first hand, but we will be there to hold his hand and get through whatever lies ahead. He's our son, now and forever.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward everyday to seeing what you've posted about your family's travels and Liam's entry into your family. I can't help the tears when I read your accounts of their daily activities. Liam is a handsome, smart, sweet, kind, and blessed little boy. He is already a blessing to your family, as you are to him, and I know he'll be even more so when he gets home!
    Thanks so much for sharing your family's journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a wonderful family and I enjoyed meeting them at Lucy's. My daughter really liked talking to Maddie. Congratulations on your beautiful new son.

    Zelda

    ReplyDelete