Liam was writing a note to a friend yesterday and it was clear he had a lot on his mind that he wanted to write. He threw away 3 or 4 attempts. He then came for my translator to look up some chinese characters and I saw him with the chinese dictionary. In the end, he wrote a sweet note to a friend who will soon meet his family but I think the process scared him. It was clear to me that writing his chinese characters were somewhat of a challenge compared to when he came home. Ever since writing the note, he's been refusing to speak english. I've been working on getting him ready for school, trying to help him get the hang of phonics. I pulled out the picture cards that he normally would repeat to me. I say "bed".... he says "bed". Today... it went something like this..
Me: Dog
Liam: Go
Me: cat
Liam: mao
Me: bed
Liam: men
Me: In english Liam
Liam: No english... Chinese!
I think the words of the little girl in China who told him "dont let those people suck the china out of you" are beginning to haunt a little.
I'm worried about him entering school and not understanding much of what's going on around him. I worry that he's not interested in learning english because he's afraid of losing Chinese and will not give it his all. I can only imagine what's going through his head.
We will be enlisting the help of an old friend who can hopefully assure him that he doesnt have to choose. He can have both if he wants.
I just hope he will listen to what she has to say.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment