Thursday, August 12, 2010

The honeymooon is...

Over! I think it is anyway. I promised myself that this blog would not just be about the rosy stuff. I know it's important for people coming behind me adopting an older child to see the range of behaviors and be prepared. I know I took comfort in reading others' blogs.

At bedtime last night, Liam refused to hug me goodnight. He's been so good about that. He sees the bedtime routine with each of the kids which includes a hug, kiss and a "I love you". After a few days, he'd allow the hug with a tilted down head, allowing me to kiss the top of his head. Then about a week after that, he skipped the hugs and opted for a kiss on the lips. Then he moved on to both, and he intiates the "I love you". Last night, I put the boys to bed, hugged and kissed Shaun and went to Liam for his. He buried himself under his blankets. I thought he was fooling around so I tried again, but no, he didnt want to participate. So, I said ok, goodnight Liam and headed for the door. As I got to the door, Liam said "Liam cry".... so I went back thinking he wanted a kiss and a hug afterall, but that's not what he had in mind. So I said goodnight and left.

Shaun said that Liam was up half the night saying "Liam cry", which I think is his way of saying he's sad.

Each morning when the boys get up, Liam runs to me without fail and throws his arms around me and says very loudly GOOD MORNING MAMA! This morning,....nothing. I didnt even know he was up yet. I happened to walk past him on my way to wake him up. He wouldnt even look at me. He didnt speak to me, and when I asked him questions he either nodded or shook his head. He refused to eat or drink until dinner time, which is very very unusual for Liam. It's obvious he's never missed a meal :-)... so that worried me the most. I kept offering, he kept shaking his head. Both Shaun and Maddie tried to engage him and get him to go bike riding, but he refused. They tried to get him out to the yard.. he refused. We played board games (loudly) trying to entice him over, but nothing.

It was painful for me not being able to have a conversation with him, to dig into his heart and find out what was wrong. I gave him space, didnt push and waited.

While watching tv tonight he sat at the end of the couch and played with the framed photos displayed there. He then pulled out family vacation photo albums and went through them. The ice finally broke when he wanted to ask me questions about the photos. He was intrigued that Shaun was not in the pictures. He seemed a little pleased that Shaun also missed out on some vacation fun.

When I put them to bed, he gave me a kiss and a hug, said I love you and the day ended on a far better note than it began. I know something is brewing. I know he has something on his mind. Our friend Ling is coming on Monday to chat, hopefully he will be willing to speak to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment