We decided to wait until after the holidays. Today, Ashley and 50 of her closest friends celebrated in style. We rented the ballroom of a hotel, and with DJ, and images of Ashley growing up flashing on the wall, we had the time of our life. Ashley never stopped dancing for the entire 4 hours. It was a day to remember.
It seems like just yesterday this sweet thing was placed in my arms. How could the years have passed so quickly, in the blink of an eye.
I remember a day shortly after Ashley came home. We were at the Mall resting on a bench when an older woman walked up to me and said "enjoy her, she'll be gone before you know it". I told her we would always enjoy her but deep down i thought, Of course I'll enjoy her. What a stupid thing to say to someone with a new baby. Do I not look like I'm not enjoying her? Whenever a friend has a baby, the first words I utter are those of the woman so long ago. Enjoy your child, they are not children forever. It truly feels like we looked away for a minute and she is grown. She is a beautiful, loving, happy young woman who brightens the lives of so many on a daily basis. I 'm sure most people say this about their kids, but in Ashley's case, it's very true!
Ashley was diagnosed at age 2.5 with autism, pdd nos. She has worked hard for every accomplishment and achievement. She's an outstanding special olympian, winning silver and gold medals each year. She is a most amazing big sister! The best thing we could have ever done for her was to bring home her siblings. That child never laughed as much as she did after becoming a big sister. She's very protective of them and they of her.
Enjoy these pictures of my big girl, my young adult, my first baby. The child who made me a mom, the child who made us a family.
I love you Ashley, you are the light that brightens us even in our darkest moments.






I found your blog via deafchinaadopt...I have a child with Autism/NOS...Bringing home our daughter was also so very good for him! It gave him a sense of protectiveness that was healthy, a reality of being a "big boy" that was needed, and a easy way to work on his fine motor issues via sign language! Your post about your daughter made me smile! Happy Birthday Ashley - - what a lovely lady you are!
ReplyDeleteHeather (MDMom, Maddie's Mama)