Friday, June 3, 2011

important lessons for my 12 year old son

In no particular order...

1. Moms and Dads make things better!
If you have a boo boo, no matter how small, I want to know about it, kiss it and make it better. I dont care how old you are. Let me put a bandaid on it. Let me snuggle you and help you to calm down when you are hurting.
You dont have to be brave, you dont have to handle things alone, you can lean on us.

2. Even if you have your own money, you need to ask if you can have something. This includes the ice cream man. I know he seems kind of special, but if mom doesnt say it's ok, IT'S NOT OK. This includes buying soda at the school party, and buying a round of ice cream for your neigborhood friends.

3. We don't have to buy our friends in America. The kids in your class want to be your friend. You are their equal. You are not a lesser individual because you have no parents. Those days are gone forever my love.
They like you for who you are, not what you can give them. You don't have to provide snacks for your friends, their moms and dads do that for them, just like your mom and dad do that for you.


4. You have siblings, they are not orphanage mates. They are people who will love you with all your faults. You are expected to love them with all of their faults. I know it's easier not to, but families require work sometimes. These are the people who some day will stand beside you in your most difficult and most joyous of times. We are attached to each other in a way that is hard to describe. You are part of something bigger than yourself, and we will all
be better people because of it.


5. Video game player is NOT a career choice. School is important. Yah yah, I know video games are way more fun, and this is all new to you. I'll give you time to be a kid, to have fun without a care, to hang out with friends, to ride your bike wherever it takes you (as long as I can see you from the window).. But.. soon... your job will be to do well in school, pay attention and take pride in the work you do there. Fun and games come after that.

6. Accept that things don't and won't always go your way. Compromise is a skill you dont know yet. Life isnt an "all or nothing" proposition. You have some choices now, but mom and dad have VETO POWER!

7. I wasnt born yesterday. Talking about people in Chinese to your brother doesnt make it ok. I have 5 kids from China and believe it or not I have picked up a few words along the way. I KNOW WHEN YOU ARE GRIPING ABOUT SOMEONE!. Come and talk to me about it. If there is a problem, lets work it out. That's what families do.

8. I told the school you can speak English. Just saying, they're on to you!

9. Above all else, know that we'll love you forever

No comments:

Post a Comment