"new son" has been part of the 5th grade for exactly 6 weeks. Yesterday was his 5th grade graduation. I'm brought to tears just thinking of all the efforts made by the 5th grade graduation committe to include him in the video and yearbook. It was wonderful sitting in the audience watching him, knowing he would be able to be a full participant in the moment. I brought my tissues, even though it was a bit different than with the other kids. Usually I sit there, remembering thier first days of school in the younger grades, the friends they'd made, the work they'd done and sniffle thinking they were far too young to be sent to middle school.
For new son, we've only known each other for about 12 weeks, so it was not the same. He came to us big, with his history unknown to us. I was immediately brought to the "here and now", with thoughts of what his life might have been had he not come to America. He was happy and he went to the stage to receive his certificate when his name was called, like he'd always been there. He was part of his school community and has been embraced by the students and teachers there. I was sad that he'd be going off to the big world of middle school and leaving this special cocoon of people who looked out for him in ways that I dont think will be possible in middle school.
I have been so pleased with how far the school has gone for my boys. They have made sure that they have received every tool necessary for success. Liam's english is amazing, and they both love school as much as Shaun does. Shaun loves school and is a very tough act to follow. They are well on their way.






No comments:
Post a Comment