Danny's counselor is always reminding me that Danny's issues are not Danny's issues, they are mine. My expectations are too high. He hasnt been here long enough to understand my expectations.... So.. I try to lower them. At this point, I'm playing Limbo with my expecations... HOW LOW CAN SHE GO! Right now they are pretty low I think.
1. Be kind to people
2. You have parents... check in with them when you are unsure
3. Be safe.
4. keep your room neat. (yeah this one has been a stretch)
Thats pretty much it in a nutshell... I'm working up to the others... One step forward, 3 steps back.
Now for this week's adventure.
Wednesday morning I came dancing down the stairs in my most cheerful and usual way (think June Cleaver). I heard some commotion between Maddie and Danny and went to check it out.
Danny looked like he had gone through a windshield..... WITH HIS FACE!!!! I immediately tried to wrap my brain around how Maddie must have finally got fed up and beat the crap out of him. Then I thought better about that and I dismissed the idea quickly since Maddie does not do stuff like that...
I then tried to figure out where Liam was..... because he MIGHT do something like that. I discounted that idea because it was too early and Liam would prefer to stay in bed sleeping than to beat up his big brother. It might be close but I think sleeping would win.
I ran over to tend to the mess of Danny's face... blood dripping everwhere, so much so that I couldnt even tell where it was coming from. Was it a bloody nose? lost tooth? did he fall? did the cat attack him? I screamed in panic "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FACE"?????
Danny calmly says.. I did this shaving. "SHAVING???? YOU DONT SHAVE!!!!!!!...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?????...HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR FACE??? WHERE THE HECK DID YOU GET A RAZOR??????... 12 YEAR OLD BOYS DONT SHAVE!!"
As I continue to wipe the blood he tells me that in Ashleys bathroom, he noticed there was a "shaver" in the trash... (eeeeeewwwww... he took it out of trash. There is a reason it was in the trash) He then thought it was a good idea to shave. We took Ashley's mirror down a while ago to do some repairs and have not put it up again yet so..... Danny took the dirty used up razor from the bottom of the trash barrel and with NO mirror and NO shaving cream, hacked up his face!
The only hair this child has on his body is on his head. I tried to explain that this is one of those things that he should have come to dad to talk about. Dads teach their sons this. We would help him to understand when he is ready for something like that.
The sad thing is that Danny still thinks he's on his own. He worries about self preservation and would never think that he should check in with us on this.
So in my "EXPECTATIONS TOO HIGH" mode.. I check with friends and in a horrified tone I share what happened with Danny. These are the responses I got.
"OOH... You're lucky.. My son shaved our dog"
"eh, my son shaved his brother's face"
"oh that's nothing, my son shaved off his eyebrows and was about to shave the baby's eyebrows"
"Boys will be boys!"
and so on.....
C'mon people, where is my support?!? You are supposed to be on MY side!
So in the end, yeah I realize my expectation of DONT HACK UP YOUR FACE WITH A DIRTY OLD RAZOR might be a bit too high.
My girls didnt prepare me for this! I should have had the boys first and gotten it out of my system and then coasted into old age raising girls.... What the heck was I thinking!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment