Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Strep throat

Liam had strep throat last week. He didnt look right to me and I kept asking if he was ok. He'd say yeah, but I found him snuggled in a blanket, not looking good on Saturday night, so I took his temperature and sure enough it was high. He didnt complain of anything, but said when he was walking he felt like he was sitting, which didnt make sense to me. I gave him his motrin and sent him off to bed, tucked him in with extra blankets and a drink at his bedside and said goodnight. At 3 in the morning I went in to check on him and found him lying there, wide awake, shivering with chills. His fever was high, so I gave him some more medicine. Trying to convince him that its ok to complain, that it's ok to look for help, to come to us has been a challenge. He suffers in silence, I think still not sure that a mom and dad are there for him to make him feel better and comfort him when he's sick. If not for my constant asking him if things hurt, starting at the top and working my way down his body, I think he would have been much sicker. He finally admitted to a sore throat, headache, dizziness. Sure enough,. the strep test was positive and he started antibiotics. He's back to his old self now. It broke my heart to see him suffering in silence and made me wonder, how many times over the past years had he done that. Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment