Sunday, February 7, 2010

Please sign the petition. The Link is on the right

I'm not sure if any of you remember, but about ten years ago I worked with Congressman Delahunt on an immunization bill. When the congress passed the immigration bill in 1996, it had a provision that all immigrants must be immunized in their native country. They failed to see the impact this would have on sometimes sickly, undernourished adoptive kids. It also didn't take into account that these kids are getting vaccinated often with reused, unsterile needles and innefective vaccine. We fixed this mistake in 1997 with a house bill that was signed into law in 1997.

Now, The Hague treaty for intercountry adoption is in effect. It's a good thing, as it prevents baby trafficking. The bad thing is it UNDID the vaccination waiver. Some kids are getting 7 or 8 vaccines before getting put on a plane from Africa, China, Russia and other countries where the conditions are questionable. When Brit was just home from China we had the luxury of going to her pediatrician for vaccines. She had a severe reaction to the DTP and spent 3 days unresponsive. Luckily I was able to get her the best medical care possible but still, it was terrifying. If she had received those vaccines in China, then was put on a plane, I have no doubt she'd be dead.

There is a bill currently waiting to be scheduled for a vote in the Senate. It's a bill that would fix this problem yet again. We need help to get them to take it seriously. I am asking all of my family, friends and friends of friends, heck I'll even ask family of friends of friends to (a.) call your senator and ask them to help get bill S 1376 scheduled and to vote favorably and ( b.) click the link to the right to sign the online petition.

I also ask that you pass this on to any email friends, groups, parents, etc that you can. It's important that they see that we are serious about the health and well being of our children.

Thanks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment